WordPress 3.0 Beta 2 has been released on April 24, 2010 as the wordpress official statements on their blog here. The final release will be somewhere in this May 2010. There is no exact release date announce yet. As this next major version release, WordPress 3.0 add some new features that will make WordPress more powerful and become the best CMS (Content Management System) for blog.
As they say there are still some bugs on their plate to fix, so in my opinion this Wodpress 3,0 release date would be someday in third week or last week of May 2010. So what is the WordPress 3.0 new features?
Here is the list:
1. Remove “admin” username as default installation username. And you can choose any username you like.
2. New default theme, as you know wordpress have been used the blue theme as the default theme sometimes now. As this release wordpress will bring a new default theme.
3. Custom background support. You can add custom background for your theme just by add add_custom_background(); to your functions.php
4. Multisites capabilities. With this new feature, you can maintain a network of wordpress blogs.
5.New post type called “Portfolio”. With this new feature, theme developer will have much more innovation and reduce the use of custom fields.
6. Custom taxonomies, with this feature this will make new possibilities to make rating function without use any plugin.
7. Menu Management. This new feature you can create multiple menu easily manage it. This idea and plugin is developed by WooThemes. What a great contributor.
I will absolutely upgrade to WordPress 3.0, so how about you?