Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04, has been released since 30 April 2010. It’s been a month now. But some of my friends who are new to Ubuntu still ask me how to upgrade from Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 to Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04.
For Desktop edition please follow this steps:
- Start the Update Manager (System > Administration > Update Manager)
- The Update Manager should show that a new distribution release (10.04 LTS) is available. Click the Upgrade button to start the distribution upgrade
- Then just follow the wizard, it will ask you user password. Then it will download upgrade package. And it will take sometime to install.
- After all the packages installed, it will ask you to restart the system.
- Restart, and you will see the differences. Now your Ubuntu is upgrade to new version.
For Server edition please follow this steps:
- Login as root
- Run update:
- install the package update-manager-core:
aptitude install update-manager-core
- Open the file /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades:
- Check if Prompt=normal in that file.
- Run the upgrade script:
- The upgrade script will run, and it will ask you some questions. Just follow that questions and reboot.
- Now your Ubuntu has upgraded.