May 3, 2011 by Ivan Kristianto
OpenPGP Thunderbird 3 With Enigmail
OpenPGP (Open Pretty Good Privacy) is a data encryption and decryption that provides cryptographic privacy and authentication for data communication such as email. We can create OpenPGP Thunderbird 3 with Enigmail addon. Enigmail adds OpenPGP message encryption and authentication to your email client. It features automatic encryption, decryption and integrated key management functionality. OpenPGP Thunderbird 3 with Enigmail works in multi platform such as Windows, Linux (32-bit) and Mac OS X both 32bit and 64bit version.
You need to download Thunderbird 3 and setup an email account which you want to use OpenPGP. After you install Thunderbird 3 then you need to install Enigmail addons to encrypt and authenticate OpenPGP message automatically. You can download Enigmail in Thunderbird addons.
On Windows machine you need to install Gpg4win (GNU Privacy Guard for Windows), which is an encryption software for files and emails. You can download Gpg4win for free.
After you install Enigmail, then you need to configure it so it can use GPG4Win to generate, encrypt and decrypt GPG key. Configure Enigmail from: Tools->AddOns->Enigmail->Options
PATH to GPG.EXE on x64 Editions
PATH to GPG.EXE on x86 Editions
Now close and restart Mozilla Thunderbird.
Setup OpenPGP Thunderbird 3 With Enigmail
Follow the steps below to setup OpenPGP Thunderbird 3 With Enigmail:
1. Create a new key pair in Menu->OpenPGP->Key Management
2. In Key Management windows choose Generate -> New Key pair
3. Choose your email account and put your passphrase.
4. There are couple options available, like key expired and encryption type. I choose my key expire in 5 years, for security reasons.
5. And generate key. It will generate both public and private key.
6. Now choose your new key pair and right click it and choose upload public key to key server.
7. You can choose any key server you want to use. Enigmail come with 4 default key servers. Upload it to all key servers is recommended.
8. Now you are done setting OpenPGP Thunderbird 3 with Enigmail.
Download and Install Enigmail